This is a substantial, research-level collection with broad coverage of the history, institutions and culture of the United States. The book collection has particular strengths in Art History, History, and Literature, with an extensive reference section. Other subjects covered include Education, Film, Politics, Native and African American Studies, Economics, Sociology and Religion.
The collection includes a number of United States Studies periodicals, notably those of state and regional historical societies.
- Most books are located on the 6th floor.
- Recent issues of periodicals are on display in the Periodicals Room (North Reading Room), 4th floor.
- Most back issues of periodicals and some monographs are shelved in the stacks. These will display the location Stack Service. Please request these through the Catalogue using the Fetch Service.
- You can search multiple journals at once using electronic resources such as America: History and Life and Academic Search Complete.
- You can find resources on the original thirteen American Colonies and British diplomatic, cultural and commercial relations with the USA on the Bibliography of British and Irish History.
- Literary resources can be found on the MLA International Bibliography and Drama Online.